Thursday, December 27, 2012

✐ Changes

I changed the name of the blog today, the name "Living in the Virtual World SL" is outdated. I don't spend much time there anymore, I guess I'm just bored and fed up with the virtual world and I've been a resident for almost 6 years, so maybe it's time to move on. I still have my land though, it's beautiful and a bit hard to give up. The short times I am logged in, I don't go anywhere, just hang around on my land, alone.With the 'Busy Mode Button' activated, I have no energy to talk or meet people and the few times I've been out partying the 1-2 past months, I've been aloof, just listening to the music and watching my avatar dance, not much "perving", not participating in the local chat or answering if a stranger IM's me.

I'm fed up with the social life in SL, the local chats are mostly spammed with gestures, like "Hooooo", "Tune", "Awesome", etc. Not to talk about the annoying hosts/hostesses repeatedly gestures, often in a "Gesture Hud; "Party on", "Tip the DJ", etc and all the "Welcomes" from a gesture hud, so impersonal and annoying. I don't tip them anymore, why should I, they're just a nuisance to me. Same with the DJ's, if I don't like the music, no tips. I do give "Linden Love" (lol) when the host/hostess are personal and are able to carry on a conversation, or at least trying to and when I like the music the DJ plays.

Second life have changed a lot since I joined, now it's more like a reflection of the real world. A virtual world for the owners (Linden Lab) and the merchants, based on commerce. The changes that have occured over the past year and upcoming ones, are just made so the residents have to or want to consume more. Mesh is a great example of that, it means you have to buy everything you already have, but in mesh. Linden Lab have also announced that they will change the server based code, so you can't log in with older viewers anymore, well you can, but all other avatars will be gray. All these changes also means you need a powerful computer, if you don't have that, you have to buy a new one.

But the most crazy thing about the commerce in Second Life, the items you buy are NOT real, it's all virtual. If the servers or databases crashes, you have nothing. I've spent quite a lot of real money during my  years in Second Life, I don't regret it, at the time I had fun there. But now when I'll leave, it will be all gone. The only real money I spend in SL now is the rent for my land, don't know for how much longer though. Yes, it is beautiful, but it's not real, it's just a piece of a server, located in San Fransisco, that I have decorated. I'm looking at Second Life from the outside now, but I still have a toe attached. I mean it's been such a huge part of my life for 6 years, so it's kind of a process to totally let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment