Tuesday, July 16, 2013

✐ Beer helps me sleep

I can understand why people suffering from PTSD often use alcoholic beverages to be able to cope with their traumatic experiences. I have never been diagnosed with PTSD, but my whole life, from early childhood to adulthood (my 10 years abroad) have been one big road of traumatic experiences.

I've been through 6 years of psychotherapy, just to deal with a traumatic childhood. It worked for awhile, then I left Sweden for 10 years and managed to get myself into more traumatic situations. Back in Sweden, mid 90s, I started to take medicines, that worked for 4-5 years, but slowly the meds stopped to have the same effect. I'm still on meds but they don't help all the way.

Not when I sleep and the subconscious takes over and keeps repeating the same dream over and over, my recurring nightmare. In order for me to sleep a dreamless sleep, is when I have been drinking beer or other alcoholic beverages. That's an observation I did after friday nights beer drinking. Such a relief to not have that damn dream, even though I was ill with a hangover the next day. It was worth it.

I'm not drinking very often, during the past 6 months, I've been drinking on 3 occasions. Alcohol is not my first choice when it comes to "drugs", I don't really like it, but it definitely helps me sleep whitout any dreams, it's more like bitter medicine. I can't drink it every day, but sometimes I really need a break and then I will drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment